The weather has been perefect here in Tauranga for several months. Bright, sunny days, with cool breezes. We have tried to fit in a few adventures before it turns cold again. Several weekends ago we headed 2 1/2 hrs west to Waitomo. Sunday night we camped. We sat outside our tent, (drinking hot chocolate that Pick brewed with a small camping cooker), watching the sunset, and counted our blessings. Who would have thought all those years ago when Pick and I started flirting like crazy, that we would end up working with a church in beautiful New Zealand? We were young, definitely silly and in love, trusting God would lead us, and He has blessed us more then we could have ever imagined.






Monday morning we went on a caving tour, appropriately named the BLACK ABYSS. It was the last adventure on our list to experience while the weather was nice. I was pretty nerve racked about the whole ordeal. Let me quote the brochure "Descend 'spider-like' into the black depths of Raukuri Cave, abseil the breath-taking tomo, zip into a black water-filled abyss, glide through caverns of glowworms and climb your way up waterfalls and through squeezes. A black water adveture that plays with your senses and adrenalin in a way you will never forget."
I don't want to sound too dramatic but it basically challenged all of my biggest fears ie. jumping into darkness, squeezing through small spaces, and being in freezing cold water for over an hour. However, our guides were two spunky Maori guys, and our tour consisted of two English and one German guy, who were definitely as nervous as I was, and an Aussie, who was more like Pick - up for whatever challenge was presented. Count that all up, and yes, I was the only girl, which probably made me more determined not to be a big sissy.
It was a really cool challenge for Pick and I to survive together. Come visit us and Pick will take you. It's definitely unforgettable!
4 comments:
Heidi, you are my hero! I would not have been as brave as you were descending into the BLACK ABYSS! It was good to talk to you last week...call again when you can! Love and miss you guys!
No doubt about it, Heidi...you're amazing! I hope Jason doesn't link to your blog anytime soon...cause you know what he'll be begging me to do! :) Glad you guys are enjoying these fun things in NZ.
Very nice. That looks like so much fun. The outfits are HOT too.
We miss you guys a ton. By the way, Kennedy can say both of your names now, and point out your pictures.
Hey guys,
Laura Payne here. Dad and I are coming over to tauranga in a couple of weeks! I'm guessing you worship at Otumotai? Hopefully we can catch up!
Love you!
=] xx Laura
Post a Comment