Friday, October 19, 2007

Off to Sydney

I've been to cities that never close down, from New York to Rio, and Old London Town. But no matter how far, or how wide I roam- I still call Australia home. (All of you Aussies will recognize these song lyrics which I was singing as we disembarked the plane in Sydney- no shame here. I was so happy to be in Aus!)

Pick and I just returned from a trip over to Aus to catch up with all our good friends and enjoy the Sydney sun. We are so blessed to be a part of a church family that loves us-- and we love dearly, in the Sydney area. It meant so much to me to be able to see the people that invested themselves in my childhood and cared about my relationship with the Lord as I grew up. This was a fun time for Pick and I and a refreshing time. I loved worshipping with my home congregation and catching up with all the members. We have been in NZ for 15months, just 3 1/2hrs flight from Sydney and so we had been eagerly awaiting this trip for a while!
Here I am with my Aussie grandma Jean who brought with her my fav. desert, the pavlova. Wow, it is so delish. And of course, there's Darci Craghead and her husband Terry (next pic) who are in Campbeltown working with the church where I grew up. Terry and Pick were catching up with Jeans husband Reg who fought in World War II and loves to tell stories about it. We spent several mornings at their home chatting and reminiscing. Jean remembers so many things about my childhood, as well as my cousins Luke, Heather and Leise, and the Powells, Trav, Austin, Jordan and Mel, that it is so fun listening to her. And she is REALLY funny so we laugh and laugh. I am so grateful we were able to be with Jean. She is a dear soul.

Here we are with my two best friends from primary school, Emma and Tracey! Tracey and her fiance Denbeigh are getting married in two weeks and we spent some great times with them. Some of you may remember last time we were in Sydney, Tracey and Denbeigh lent us their car to drive around for a week, with the one condition that I was not alowed to drive it! Tracey lived around the corner from me growing up and we walked home from school together every afternoon, from year 2 through year 6 and we have remained goodfriends. It was great to see them and we are so exited for their upcomming marriage.
The other pic. is me with Frank who is the minister in Campbeltown, the church where I grew up. His ministry is a testimony to Pick and I of Christs unrelenting love for the church. He is a caring, devoted and faithful man of God that we respect and love. I also had a great catch up with his daughter Emma. It was lovely to see her. Emma is really fun and full of life and also faithful to the Lord.



Terry and Darci were so great to us. We stayed about a week at their place and chatted late into the night, laughed so much and had a spades tournament. They are connecting with the Sydney youth and young adults and we were encouraged by their ministry. We took a fun day trip with them, through Bowral where they are having a spring tulip festival then to Fitzory Falls for a mini bushwalk and stopped at Jervis Bay, Green Patch, for a bbq a relaxing wander at the beach. While Pick and Darci were cooking up the food Terry and I coaxed Rainbow Lorikeets and Kookaburras to be our friends with green grapes and sausages!

Pick and got a day tripper pass (includes all trains and ferries) and went to have tea with Bob and Lynne Marks in Manly. Dinner was grilled steak, chicken and lamb shanks with greek salad, turkish bread and hummus- soooo tasty! They have been serving the Lord faithfully with the church in Warringah for years. They are strong ambassadors for Christ. We loved seeing them and hearing about what their kids (my peers) are all up to. Bob has a real knack for ebay and had a bunch of books on pregnancy and babies for me! Woo hoo, thanks Bob!
I also caught up with my two best girlfriends from highschool Elizabeth and Alisha. It was great seeing them and hearing all about their lives now. They are both very accomplished and successful and still so caring and fun!

Here we are with Fred and Margaret Darling my old next door neighbors! We took a country train to see them in their beautiful Exeter home. Fred and Maragret have supported my family through so many life changes and we are grateful for their love and enduring friendship. It was lovely spending the night with them. They are Chrustian role models for us and a beautiful example of an enduring, loving and romantic marriage.

Our last stop on our "catching up with friends" tour was in the Capitol City of Aus. Canberra where my dear friend Kate and her husband Mark live. Kate and I have been pillars for each other since we were 16 seeing each other through silly boyfriends, random jobs, university studies and international adventures. We are able to be honest with each other about our spiritual journey and have stengthened each others faith consistently, even if its meant calling each other out. Kate and I have always lived alteast 3 hrs apart but we have stayed in touch and cared about each others well being.
So we went to Canberra for 3 glorious days. Thursday Pick and I did some sight seeing, then met Kate and Mark after work, and fellowshipped with the church that evening. Kate and Mark took Friday off work and kept their schedule clear so we had two full days of relaxing, picnicing, strolling around, eating well, and chatting with them. It was a wonderful time. Pick and Mark talked a lot about ministry and church growth and played basketball, while Kate and I talked about babies and marriage and drank tea and milkshakes! Our time with them was refreshing and a blessing. They are dear, dear friends.
And now we are back in NZ, happy to be back in Tauranga, and feeling full of gratitude that we were able to have the opportunity to see our church family in Aus.
p.s. If you are a nay sayer about frequent flyer miles you are silly! Pick and I travelled on his miles accumulated during his business trips through Boeing. A BIG shout out for airline points!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey . . .just read about your Aus trip and I feel like I was with you. . You told it all so well!
love you, mum

Elizabeth Mullins said...

What a great time for you both! You look so beautiful Heidi. We hope you are feeling great! SEe you soon!

Jason said...

Yeah for frequent flyer miles. :) So glad you made it to Australia...and I am singing right along with you. We are looking forward to seeing you soon. Love, Nicole

Anonymous said...

ooh we got a write up on the blog, feel so priveleged!!! it was GREAT seeing you guys!! :) send me your pics when you get a chance... miss you heaps! xx kate

AM said...

Great update Heidi. I can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!! Love you, Leise

Amanda said...

How great that you got to go "home". Heidi you look so cute!!!