1. The fresh fruit. Right now you can buy fresh strawberries, 2 punnets for $5 from home venders on the side of the road, as well as 10 avacodas for $2! Here's a pic of the house across the road from us with fresh, juicy plums. You just drop the money in her letter box and grab a bag. Similar stalls are all over town.
The other pic is next door to us. The neighbor boy, who is 14, is growing sweet corn, potatoes, tomoates and strawberries in a small veggie patch. He promised us some sweet corn when it's ready-yum yum!
2. Swimming. The only time I feel light and agile is in the water so I'm making the most of it! I've been doing water aerobics at a local hot water salt pool- just me and a bunch of retired ladies! But my favourite thing is swimming in the ocean. Yesterday, Pick and I walked down to the estuary and swam for a while. It was so refreshing and relaxing. Here's a video Pick took over Christmas when we were camping.
3. Hanging my clothes on the clothes line. Surprising yes-because I hated it when we moved here. In the winter this can be miserable b/c it rains so much- however in the summer its lovely to hang the clothes out and see them blowing in the breeze. They are done in 30mins and saves on electricty. Go Green- use a cothes line!
4. Lemonade Ice blocks: for $1 from the petrol station or local shops. They are so refreshing, cheap and delicious.
5. Pepprmint lip gloss from Bath and Body works. O.k this is not a New Zealand pleasure, however I love this lip gloss especially during the summer. Pick loves it too b/c my lips are sugary and fresh!
6. Summer bbq: We end up going to someones house, meeting at a park or having people over atleast twice a week for a bbq. We throw some sausages on the bbq, pineapple, onions, potatoes, courgettes yum, yum. Someone makes a salad, we have fresh bread rolls, a bag of salt and vinegar chips, and something sweet for dessert. It's easy, fast and delicious.
Pick bbqing at Young Adults xmas party.
7. Sitting outside on our deck: The cool ocean breeze provides our "air conditioning" on the deck and through our open windows! The deck is the coolest place to be. Last night Pick and I sat out there for over an hour as the evening turned to night. It was lovely.
Well, that's all my musing for today.
6 comments:
Sounds lovely, Heidi! Especially as we are heading into our deep freeze of winter here. Enjoy the summer and the ocean!!
hey heidi! good to hear from you! congrats on the little picker.
so far, so good on my new years res. i haven't even felt too tempted to go shopping yet.
high five on being less materialistic! clothes are so overrated.
i have subscribed to your blog so i'll be keeping up with your adventures across the world!
I promise to go green with the clothesline in about two months. I can't believe you 'get' to be pregnant in such a perfect environment. We're thinking of you!
I always like to hang clothes out on the line, no line here in Vienna, though. I'm longing for spring and summer to arrive here.
Wow, only 4 weeks to go, how very exciting! I wanted to send you a little something for your little lady, if you don't mind. Could you email me your postal address please? I'm at greenjellysnakes @ gmail.com
Hi Heidi! I found your blog through Sara & Preston's blog. That is neat that you all live in New Zealand! Congratulations on your soon to be baby girl! Matt & I had a baby girl in Nov. I hope your next few weeks go well. Kim Mauck
Post a Comment