
Going back in time: My granddad came 3 times and grandma came 7 times to Australia see us! (I am in my schools sports uniform!)

Many of you know my grandma passed away two weeks ago. I have been really struggling with her passing. This last year Chelsea and I regularly went to the Wellington where my grandparents lived for Granddad and Grandma lunch dates. We would eat and retell stories with their two friends, Sam and Jess (both in their 90's). Chelsea was doted over by all the residents "She is such a doll" but especially cherished by my grandparents, who would take turns feeding her fruit (and deserts if I didn't interevene fast enough!). After dining we would troop upstairs to their apt. play with Chelsea and chat some more.
My grandad passed away just after the 4th of July weekend after a slow decline of health. We had an empowering memorial service recalling all his good deeds. My grandads life challenges me to be hard working, honest and generous. He left an incredible legacy of faithfulness to the Lord and his church.
6 weeks later, my grandma passed away suddenly and painfully. It was a huge shock and traumatic ending that still quietly haunts me. She had congestive heart failure and had been in poor health for years so the fact that her death was so unexpected is honestly slightly ridiculous, however, her spirits and engery had been high. Chelsea and I were accustomed to dropping by and hearing the latest "news", playing Hank Wlliams and listening to her musical clock chime - and I just took those lovely times for granted. They finished so abruptly.
My Grandma was an Oklahoman, country gal who loved Dr. Pepper, watermelon, and jelly bellies. She carefully embrodiered table cloths, watched western movies and made scrumptous apple and cherry pies. Wjen shopping she relished fancy jewelry, pretty dishes, and music boxes. Her grandkids were adored, and she basked in the joy of great grandkids. She bought Chelsea a huge, larger-than-life sized teddy bear that Chelsea would cuddle, squeal and bounce all over. This made my grandma, and me quite happy.
This is a video of Chelsea in April with the bear- Grandma was usually more attentive to Chelsea's antics however she is discussing with my mum fried fruit pies and that was a VERY important topic.
Truth be told, my Grandma had no idea how difficult this transition back to Oklahoma has been for me. I never mentioned yearning for the ocean, missing the mild teperatures or my New Zealand friends. I didn't dwell on the trials related to my husbands new profession or his night time studies. But she helped me through this time tremendously. Through her love, kindness and eager-to-greet-us attitude I drew strength. I will forever be grateful. Dorthy Jean, you were deeply loved and are sorely missed.
Side note: It is no secret that Pick and I tried to stay in New Zealand last year but things didn't work out. We returned to Oklahoma and have wrestled with our lot. Thank the Lord that we were here. This is the ONLY year of my life that I have lived near my grandparents and the joy, and life lessons I received from their companionship was irreplaceable. Again, our heavenly father knows what we need even when we cannot see it. "Praise Him, praise Him, tell of His excellent greatness".

7 comments:
Heidi, Thank you for sharing your heart. I am so suprised by your struggles by being back in the states because you seem to ALWAYS have a positive outlook and a smile on your face. I appreciate your honesty. I am sorry for your loss but I am thankful that you can show us God's love through your story! It gives us hope and strength to strive to be more like your grandparents who strived to live for Christ. Thank you!
Your grandparents sound like wonderful people. I hope we raise our kids like they raised theirs.
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma but thankful that you shared this beautiful post about her! Both of your grandparents sound like they were amazing people. What a peace to know that God TRULY knows what's best for us when we don't think it makes sense! Thanks so much for sharing this!
I'm sorry that you've had to handle so much in a short amount of time. I do think it's awesome that you see God's hand looking back at His timing for your return to the States. We sure are glad you're here too!
Hey, sorry to hear about your gran. She sounds like a wonderful woman. It's crazy how God has his master plan and even though we don't understand it at the time, everything works out better than we ever thought it could.
See you at Christmas! xox Tarryn
Heidi, it's been ages since I checked your blog last, but I scrolled down and found this post. What a touching testimony of your grandparents love. You brought tears to my eyes reading it.
What a blessing that the Lord's timing worked out just as it did for you to have time to spend learning from them and for them to enjoy the delights of a great granddaughter. His timing is so perfect and wonderful. I've seen it many times in my life too. I hope you guys are doing better with the transition back to the states. I think I can understand where you're coming from since we lived in Japan for three years. When we came back, people kept asking us if we were glad to be "home", but truthfully I felt like I had just left "home". The place where Shawn and I had our first "home" together--no matter what the country name was. Anyway, I hope you are feeling God's rich blessings while you continue to transition. And what an amazingly adorable little girl you have. Thank the Lord for little girls. (We have one too, but she's 4 1/2 now.)
--Rachel Phelps
Heidi, it's amazing how God blesses us through our Christian family near and far. I just happened to be on Rachel's blog and decided to take a peak at Kelly's and from there saw yours. Your faith in the Father has always encouraged me and again today, you continue to bless. Thank you for sharing your joys and your challenges. Thank you also for trusting God and thanking Him in all circumstances. Lots of love to you and your family.
Meg
Post a Comment