Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Falling, floating or flying?

Okay, hold on to your hats people- I went skydiving! Let's be honest from the beginning and admit it was peer pressure. Darci and Katy are here visiting. Anyone who knows Darci will astest to the fact that she is up for anything. She is always keen to add to her list of things she has done globally. She casually mentioned her interest in Skydiving while in NZ and for some bizzare reason Katy and I jumped on it and were like "hey we should all do it!" What were we thinking- WE WEREN'T THINKING. Katy and I are too proud (some might say foolish) to back out once committed so off we went to Taupo to jump out of a plane.

Confession: I was never afraid of dieing or my parachuting malfunctioning or any normal concern. Since being here we have met so many skydiving survivors I felt it was completely safe. I was however, terrified of the actual experience- I HATE jumping off anything, I HATE my stomach dropping... this was the culmination of all my worst fears. Seriously- I should be on Oprah for conquering a major fear with this.
So on the day I woke up feeling as if I would puke and the sensation lasted until I was soaring outside the plane. Truth be told, the worst part was the flight up. I was completely miserable anticipating the drop. I couldn't speak, I couldn't smile, I was near tears and if Darci and Katy hadn't have been there I would have just ridden the plane back down to the ground. Darci was out of the plane first- and watching her plunge out into the vast sky I was horrified. Then I was sliding to the edge, putting my feet over and ARGH! out we tumbled.

It was exhilerating. I didn't close my eyes, I didn't wet my pants, I did think "this is awesome." The view over lake taupo, soaring through the clouds, feeling the wind rush past me- all incredible. Once he pulled out our parachute and we swept around the sky I did relax and immediately breathed out "I'm so grateful I did this." My instructor even gave me a go at steering the chute- pulling on the side harnesses to swoop us through the sky.

I was peaceful in the sky and happy when my feet hit the ground. My legs were jelly and my fingers numb from the cold. Darci, Katy and I jumped for joy for awhile and let out a few girlish screams. Yey for conquoring a huge fear- who knew it would be such a joy?
Pick was faithfully supportive on the ground (having skydived previously) snapping pictures and holding Chelsea. Here are some photos for proof. (I know some of you are still thinking that I'm joking- seriously I did this!)







5 comments:

Rachel said...

Okay, Picker's. I've been lurking for a while--silently reading your blog. But the silence must end. You did what?! Wow! Congrats on conquering a huge fear. I'm not sure I could do that.
-Rachel

Damon and Amy said...

Skydiving!! Woah! Australia is going to be boring for them after all of that excitement in New Zealand. Glad you guys got to share in the skydiving experience. Good on ya!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! Crazy....how exciting. I can tell you Nana won't be doing any of that though. Miss you and love all of you! Nana

Anonymous said...

okay .. so I'm just thankful you didn't have Chelsea attached to you when you jumped. . .Glad she was sensible and stayed on the ground with her father!! . . How cute she looks all bundled up and waiting for you to land!!!!
Can't wait to see you 3 in a few days!!! Don't book us any skydiving please!!!
love you, mum/nanna nancy

Ryan's Mommy and Daddy said...

Wow Heidi, can't believe you're a skydiver! Do you remember when we all went cliff jumping...and there was that 10 ft cliff you wouldn't jump from? Maybe all you needed was a parachute!!